Head of the Department
Prof. Dr. Naila Azam
The department of Community Medicine is entrusted to groom MBBS students joining FUMC into well rounded general practitioners with motivation to shoulder health professional social and community responsibilities. The department is striving to inculcate seven star qualities in young doctors. The subject aims promotion of health and prevention of diseases, involving community participation, utilizing professional managerial skills and research Curriculum of Community Medicine is in accordance with PMDC / HEC / CPSP Specification for MBBS / FCPS students:-
The core components of the course are Epidemiology, Biostatistics and HMIS, Social and Behavioral science, Health Education Promotion, Health care system, Health planning, Management and leadership, Communicable and non-communicable diseases Prevention and Control strategies.
Functions of Community Medicine Department
Under Graduate Training
- The subject is Integrated in Modular System starting from 1st year MBBS as part of PBL sessions.
- The core course is taught in 4th year MBBS through common lectures and small group interactive sessions whereby small groups rotate between four subjects assessed in 4th year (Community medicine, Forensic Medicine, ENT & Ophthalmology) during academic session. The students are assessed by EOB examinations,OSPE,Terms and professional exams.
- Field visits are scheduled to promote community based learning , students submit their observations regarding Visit in especially designed practical manual.
- Students are guided to learn about importance of World Health Days and assessed by weekly group presentations on subject.
- To inculcate habit of being a life long learner by remaining updated with emerging health issues; every student is required to submit and display clippings from daily newspapers .
- To plant seed of being a Researcher , students are closely guided about identifying research problems and developing research proposals. Each student submits a research synopsis on trending medical and social issues . Moreover , they are invited to join ongoing Research projects designed by faculty incharge of research groups and learn practical aspects of data collection and analysis during their rotation with department.
Post Graduate Training
A particular strength of the department is its recognition by the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan for fellowship training Six trainees are registered with the department for FCPS Part II Community Medicine under supervision of HOD who is approved CPSP supervisor.
Community Health Awareness Services
Department has assumed the responsibility to develop and disseminate health awareness material for faculty, patients and attendants in FFH in English and Urdu languages.
Moreover, the department regularly collaborates with FM 101 for approaching larger audience for social and health awareness programs.
Faculty remains actively engaged in research and its communication by publications in indexed journals and paper presentation on national and international forums.
Workshops and seminars
World Health Day is organized by department as an annual Seminar by Students of 4th MBBS to develop awareness on public
health issue raised by WHO .
At least 4 Hands on workshops are regularly organized and conducted for students in small group rotations . Namely,
- Research Methodology,
- Integrated Vector Management,
- Infant and Young Child Growth Management,
- Family Planning counseling.
Qualified and trained faculty is committed to promoting community Medicine teaching by adopting and employing progressive methodologies.
We strive to train future doctors equipped with courage and motivation to be Community Leaders, managers, Decision makers, Communicators, and Caregivers besides being lifelong learners and Researchers.
Head of the Department
Professor Dr. Naila Azam, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS
Dr. Nosheen Zaidi, MBBS, MPH
Dr. Tahira Amjad, MBBS, MPH
Dr. Umay Kalsoom, MBBS, MPH
Dr. Shumaila Humayun, MBBS, MPH, MCPS Family Medicine
Dr. Sumaira Masood, MBBS, FCPS, CHPE
Dr. Mehwish Riaz, MBBS
Dr. Fatima Ali Raza Mughal, MBBS,MSPH
Dr. Shaista Zulfiqar MBBS, MPH
Dr. Mariam Razzaq, MBBS
Dr. Asma Anjum, MBBS
Dr. Sarah Bakhsh
Dr. Qaisar Javed
Dr. Nazish Khan
Dr. Sana Iqbal
Dr. Nadia Sultan