The rationale behind FUCD curriculum is that the student, on graduation, acquires competencies defined in the curriculum to practice both nationally and internationally. The curriculum is designed in context of the prevailing conditions both in education and health delivery restraints nationally, and making it as close to International Standards as possible.
The content of this 4-year curriculum is in accordance with the curricular document of Pakistan Medical and Dental Council, and Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
The curricular document defines the terminal objectives or outcomes. The LOs written are in line with the learning outcomes mentioned in the PM&DC curricular document, for developing a Seven Star Doctor, tomorrow’s Doctor 2011 of General Dental Council of UK, Scottish Doctor and Five Star Doctor of World Health Organization.
The main emphasis is on the desired knowledge, skills, attitudes, community health and health advocacy, research and lifelong learning required from successful graduates of FUCD to practice as a safe and professional dentist.
The outcomes of FUCD are in following main domains:-
Professionalism and Ethics (Attitude)
1. FUCD Graduate will be able to demonstrate acquired attributes of professionalism and ethical values. The graduate will be able to:-
- Know about ethical guidelines of regulatory authority including Best Dental Practices.
- Demonstrate awareness of his / her responsibilities as a dentist towards care of the patient and displays high standard of Ethical Values including politeness, sympathetic, sacrifice for others, respect to colleagues and patients, obedience to superiors, and rights of the society.
- Demonstrates knowledge of national and International laws related to dental care, confidentiality, patient rights and forensic practice.
- Demonstrates ability to build a team, assigning roles to team members and attributes of good team leader.
2. FUCD Graduate will be able to demonstrate fundamental knowledge of all dental subjects and is able to correlate and apply this knowledge to dental practice. The graduate will be able to:-
- Correlate and differentiate between normal structure and functions of Oral cavity.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of substances, include local remedies and alternate dental provisions used in the treatment and prevention of diseases.
- Applies this knowledge to prevent and treat common clinical conditions.
- Make observations of resulting clinical Oral manifestations and analyses data accordingly.
- Select and justify investigations for common structural and functional abnormalities.
- Develops problem solving and critical thinking skills.
3. FUCD Graduate will be able to demonstrate skills required for identification and management of common clinical conditions. The graduate will be able to:-
- Take detailed history and perform extra-oral and intra-oral examination.
- Formulate provisional diagnoses.
- Order appropriate investigations.
- Make a final diagnosis on the basis of history, examination and investigations.
- Make appropriate treatment plan using principles of evidence based dentistry.
- Select most appropriate and cost effective drugs /treatment/ modalities.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and sensitively his / her plan of management of the patient and all aspects of disease and outcomes of treatment.
- Recognize and work within limits of his competence and decide to refer to appropriate specialist where required.
- Record, collect and maintain all information relevant to the patient observing the requirements of confidentiality.
Community Health and Health advocacy
4. FUCD Graduate will be able demonstrate knowledge of Community Dental Health , policy formulation and Governance. The graduate will be able to:-
- Demonstrate knowledge of common health issues of the community dental health including those of communicable diseases, environmental diseases, genetic diseases and non-communicable diseases.
- Discuss basic principles of improvement of dental health of the Community.
- Discuss the principles of development of dental health service policy including nutrition.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Socio-cultural and Economic factors that influence the health of community.
- Demonstrates knowledge of addressing these issues and formulate policies and methods for this purpose.
- Discuss Collaborative dental health promotion and prevention of disease programs.
- Demonstrates attributes of a good manager and a leader.
Research and Lifelong learning
5. FUCD Graduate will be able to demonstrate attributes of a Scientist, Scholar and a lifelong learner. The graduate will be able to:-
- Use all electronic means of data search, storage and retrieval.
- Critically appraise the results of published data on etiology, pathology treatment and prognosis of diseases.
- Formulate research questions and design appropriate studies, experiments and trials to address these questions.
- Collect published evidence and understand ethical issues involved in latest dental research.
- Communicate to the audience results of his studies and summary of his knowledge and experiences in conferences, seminars and symposia.
- Continuously acquire new knowledge, ensure that the patient receives best care and adapts to changing circumstances.
- Maintains balance between personal and professional life.
- Develops portfolio of reflections and achievements.
- Contribute towards feedback and student mentoring.